Can you feel the rush? It’s the same thing you feel at the top of the first hill on the roller coaster or when you’re standing at the door of the airplane before your first parachute jump. The difference is that you’re somewhat prepared for what to expect in those experiences. It’s not going to be that way for this one, folks. I hate to tell you this, but “easy” is not a trait of these strategies if you haven’t been paying attention. Here are 5 challenges that you’ll face when you jump in:
1. You think it’s a pool, but it’s really an ocean. A pool is limited by the size of its edges while 80% of the earth is covered by water. It’s now a global economy. Your influence is no longer limited to your own backyard.
2. There are no longer 5 or 6 early influencers out there for you to learn from…there are 5 or 6 million, and many of them aren’t going to offer their advanced services for free.
3. There are no longer 3 or 4 social media platforms to choose from, there are hundreds. People you’ve never met are going to be telling you and selling you on the next big thing. It’s ADHD hell.
4. You’re going to try to retro-fit your old processes into the new models and it’s not going to work. When you start dialing the lead list created from website traffic without permission from the people on it, you aren’t following up, you’re annihilating your brand’s trust and your own reputation for being customer needs-focused.
5. You’re going to be pressed for time because you were still adjusting your swim goggles when the starting gun sounded. Instead of developing a strategic plan and executing it, you’re going to panic and start paddling as fast as you can to catch up. You’ll be posting just to post, connecting just to say you’re connected, and curating and creating random content that isn’t relevant to the audience that you have no authentic connection with. At the same time, you’re going to be holding on tight to that white donut: The security of all the past processes and strategies that worked for so long. The donut works fine when you’re in the pool. Not quite as effective in the middle of the ocean.
Watch out for sharks.